Stations of the Cross
Here is the main prayer said at the beginning of each station and a list the stations.
Prayer at the beginning of each station. (The second part of the prayer is said while genuflecting.):
We adore You, O Christ, and we praise You.
Because by Your holy cross You have redeemed the world.
- Jesus is condemned to death.
- Jesus carries His cross.
- Jesus falls the first time.
- Jesus meets His sorrowful mother.
- Simon helps Jesus carry His cross.
- Veronica wipes the face of Jesus.
- Jesus falls the second time.
- Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem.
- Jesus falls the third time.
- Jesus is stripped of His garments.
- Jesus is nailed to the cross.
- Jesus dies on the cross.
- The body of Jesus is taken down from the cross.
- Jesus is laid in the tomb.
When we pray the Stations of the Cross (also called The Way of the Cross), we meditate on Jesus’ passion and death-his trial, scourging, carrying of the cross, crucifixion, and death. We contemplate His suffering for our sins. We pray. The Stations of the Cross are traditionally prayed on Fridays in Lent.
There are many different versions of prayers for the Stations of the Cross that can be prayed at each station. Many churches have booklets with the prayers, or you can find a list of the Stations and prayers to accompany them on the US Conference of Catholic Bishops’ website.