Loving the Sacred Heart of Jesus Even More
How to Love the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Do you wonder how you can love the Sacred Heart of Jesus even more than you do? Jesus loves us so much that it may be beyond our human comprehension to understand how much He does love us. He was born, lived, was ridiculed, suffered, and died a horrible death because . . . He loves us and wants us to be in Heaven with Him. This is how great God’s love is for us. The next question is: how can we love Him back?
What do we mean when we talk about the Sacred Heart of Jesus?
When we use the term the Sacred Heart of Jesus, we refer to Jesus’ great love for us that comes from His sacred heart. Jesus’ heart is the symbol of His love for us. His heart lived for us, was pierced for us, and bled for us. His heart yearns for us to love Him in return and not show Him indifference.
“When you realize that Jesus really loves you personally, that you truly matter to Him, then you cannot help but love Him back and this obviously leads to His Sacred Heart . . . His HEART beats for you, His love is personal. With Him your heart can become like His. An exchange of hearts can happen in an instant.” Servant of God Sister Ida Peterfy, Foundress of the Society Devoted to the Sacred Heart
Ways we can love the Sacred Heart of Jesus
There are many ways we can show Jesus our love for Him and His sacred Heart. We can show love to Him, to others, and to ourselves.
Show Jesus we love Him by loving Him. That sounds simple, right? There are many ways we can show Jesus our love for Him.
- Tell Jesus you love Him. We can simply use our own words to tell Jesus we love Him.
- Pray. Pray in your own words. God to Mass. Pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet. Pray a Rosary.
- Talk to Jesus about your great love for Him. Why do you love Him? Tell Him how wonderful He is and how much He means to you.
- Ask Jesus to help you to love Him more.
- Meditate on the Passion and death of Jesus.
- Spend time with Jesus. He asked the apostles to spend time with Him when He was in the garden before He was arrested and later crucified. Spend time with Him, too.
Jesus tells us that what we do for others, we also do for Him. “Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.” Matthew 25: 45.
We can show our love for Jesus in how we love others.
- Be kind to others.
- Do not be rude to or yell at others.
- Treat others as we imagine Jesus would treat them: with love and kindness.
- Pray for others.
- Pray for others to turn to God’s mercy and understand His love.
- Ask God to help you to love others as He wants you to love them.
How can loving yourself be loving God, too? Remember that God created you in His image. When Jesus told us the two great commandemnts, he said, “The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Mark 12: 31a. Show love and kindness to yourself as you show love and kindness to others.
- Love yourself. Think of how much God loves you. Love yourself as He loves you.
- Pray for yourself that you can be more like Christ.
- Treat yourself kindly and with respect.
- Remember that you are made in the image of God.
- Think about how much God loves you.
- Talk to God about His great love for you.
More resources about how to love the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Just as we grow to know a new friend over time, making the time to show Jesus our love may take time and practice. Soon, though, it will become more familiar to you.
Here is some more information about the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the feast of the Sacred Heart, and two great short videos about the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
About the Sacred Heart of Jesus
“Understood in the light of the Scriptures, the term “Sacred Heart of Jesus” denotes the entire mystery of Christ, the totality of his being, and his person considered in its most intimate essential…The “Sacred Heart” is Christ, the Word Incarnate, Savior.” Popular Piety and the Liturgy, 167
Sacred Hearts Room Blessing Framed House Blessings Print is a great way to keep the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary present in your home.
Learn more about the Sacred Heart of Jeus:
The Sacred Heart of Jesus by Saint John Eudes
Sacred Heart of Jesus Holy Card – with prayer for Daily Consecration to the Sacred Heart of Jesus
The Sacred Heart of Jesus and Mary medal one side shows Jesus and His Saced Heart. The other side shows the Blessed Virgin Mary and her Sacred Heart.
The feast of the Sacred Heart
Pope Pius IX established the Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in 1856 after Sr. Mary Margaret Alacoque’s private revelations from Jesus about His Sacred Heart. The feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is celebrated each year on the third Friday after Pentecost.
Two great, short videos about the Sacred Heart of Jesus
The first video, Taking Back June for the Sacred Heart, is by Fr. Mark-Mary about June being the month dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. He talks about how we can celebrate Jesus’ Sacred Heart.
In the second video, Pray with Us: Litany of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Fr. Mark-Mary and Mother Clare pray a litany to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. We can pray along with them, too, during the video. When you click on the video, you will see the Litany prayer typed below the video as well.
May we love Jesus and His Sacred Heart well throughout our lives. Amen.
Leave a Reply